||Herzog Supply Company is proud to celebrate over 100 years of service to their community. Throughout four generations, the Herzog family has catered to its customers and earned their loyalty. Over the century, their philosophy has stayed the same. However, the store has continued to change with the times. It has met the challenge presented by chain-owned competitors. How? Through relationships and a commitment to service.
Even though it is a family-owned business, its employees are quality people who treat it as if it were their own business. Their strength is in their employees. Herzog’s has an unmatched dedication to continually providing outstanding service with quality products. The Herzog family has also faithfully been committed to giving back to their community. Each year, they are proud sponsors to many non-profit, youth, and church organizations in the local area. They have thrived through four generations and are proudly looking forward to the future…”We’re just getting started.”
- Matthew Herzog began his business career with a paint, wallpaper, and picture framing store on May 10th, 1909 at 293 Wall Street in Kingston, NY. He opened with one employee, the late Leo Grogan. A horse-drawn wagon was used to make deliveries. “The first year’s business,” said Mr. Herzog, “totaled $7,002.00.”
- Mr. Herzog purchased and moved the retail business to 332 Wall Street in 1917.
- The entire business was managed by Mr. Herzog alone until the year 1929. This is when his son, Robert H. Herzog joined, following his graduation from Yale University. It has been said that Robert Herzog was a mathematical wizard who could add a column of 4 and 5 digit numbers faster than an adding machine.
- In 1935, he purchased the former Mitchell House on North Front Street. A major contribution to the modernization of North Front Street took place with the addition of a complete red brick veneer in 1947. This expansion also marked the milestone in the expansion of a local business enterprise.
- By 1947, Herzog’s wholesale business supplied 250 other stores within a 75 mile radius. This radius was covered by four salesmen. The wholesale accounts received exceptional service. This was mostly because the merchandise was delivered right to the door.
- By November of 1948, the completion of a 17,000 foot warehouse space was a necessity for the ever-growing wholesale business. At this time, the Herzog organization employed 52 local people. Along with their families, these employees were completely covered by accident & life insurance, as well as hospitalization. All of these costs were paid by Herzog’s.
- In March of 1957, Herzog’s had emerged as the leader in hardware and interior decorating while holding demonstrations at the store for their clientele.
- 1959 marked a half century of progress for Herzog Supply Company. It was the story of the growth of a private business from a small paint store opened in 1909, into a large, diverse organization which served a wide-spread area. They employed 55 local people, covered 6,500 square feet of floor space , and did so all while supplying 300 retail stores within a 80 radius.
- Herzog’s had acquired 3 large warehouses and 4 company trucks. Benjamin Moore paints were featured exclusively.
- In the early 50’s, Robert Herzog purchased Kingston Lumber Company and the bordering cornfields. During the early 60’s, he created the Kingston Plaza (now a division of Herzog Supply Co.). This is where he developed what is now a 312,115 sq. ft. Home Center and a 34-store shopping center.
- In 1971, the current Herzog building was added to the Kingston Plaza. The store relocated to its current location from Wall Street.
- In 1985, Bradley Jordan joined his grandfather, Robert Herzog, in running the day-to-day operations of the ever-growing Herzog Supply Co. enterprise. He took over as President following his grandfather’s death in 1992. Bradley was joined in the business by his brother, Todd, shortly thereafter. In 1995, Herzog’s partnered itself with the nationally advertised True Value Company. This member-owned co-op guaranteed the buying power necessary to compete with the national big box chains. During the same period, Herzog’s Home Center underwent complete and thorough remodeling. The remodeling included the addition of its Garden Center and the computerization of its retail operations. Later, Herzog’s opened a Service Center for power equipment. This went together with expanding their sales of lawn mowers to tractors, of snow blowers to chainsaws, and of generators to other power equipment.
- Continuing to expand its original product line, Herzog’s opened Hudson Valley Paint and Decorating on Rt. 55 in Poughkeepsie in 1995. A Wappinger’s location in Lawrence Farms was also added in 1998.
- Expansion with its paint and decorating concept stores continued in 2002 with the acquisition of Miller Paint : a 70-year old paint dealer in the Capital District. Currently, Miller Paint & Decorating locations are on Central Ave. in Albany and also on Route 9 in Latham.
- 2006 welcomed further enhancements to the existing Herzog site in the Kingston Plaza. This included the state-of-the-art Kitchen and Bath Design Center. Together with the Home Decorating Department and a newly renovated Paint Department, these areas employ more than a dozen people dedicated to Kitchen/Bath and Home Design services and sales, including free design and consultations.
- 2009 – Herzog’s employs 100 local employees with annual sales in excess of 20 million dollars. 2013 brought a re-branding for their 4 satellite paint stores and the home center business located in Kingston. In order to be more uniform in business and marketing strategies, all stores are now under one name: Herzog’s Home and Paint Centers.